Orthodontics aren’t just for children and teens. If you’re an adult and are suffering from teeth misalignment, overcrowding, tooth gaps, or bite problems, read on to learn why you should consider orthodontics with Young Family Dental.
Understanding Orthodontic Care
Orthodontics is about moving teeth to create a healthy, functional, and attractive smile. It is a very specific field of dentistry that involves the diagnosis, prevention, and correction of orthodontic problems. While many people are under the impression that orthodontics is just for children and teens, that’s not true. If you’re an adult considering orthodontic treatment, this article is for you.
Over the last few years, more and more adults have transformed their smile and received straight teeth using ClearCorrect™ Orthodontics. These invisible, clear braces are custom removable aligners that work over time to move your teeth into place. ClearCorrect utilizes a series of clear, customized, removable appliances to move teeth at a gradual rate over time. Since adults have better oral health understanding than children and teens do, they may also be able to move their teeth faster than younger orthodontic patients.
Who Can Use ClearCorrect?
ClearCorrect orthodontics are ideal for correcting a few different problems that can result in a flawed smile with crooked teeth and bite problems. These conditions can include:
- Teeth misalignment
- Tooth gaps
- Bite problems (overbite, underbite, crossbite, open bite)
ClearCorrect currently is available to treat adults and teenagers. However, as Consumer Guide to Dentistry explains, children who might not have all of their molars and senior citizens who present with more complicated dental cases also may be candidates for ClearCorrect, but should consult with their dentists to determine the treatment option that best suits their needs.
The benefits of this teeth-aligning treatment include:
- Discreet options for straightening your teeth slowly over time — The clear aligners are essentially invisible, so you can wear them anywhere and not worry about feeling self-conscious.
- Removable aligners for eating and cleaning — Cleaning metal braces can be difficult and time-consuming, but ClearCorrect aligners pop out easily any time you want to rinse or do a thorough cleaning. You can also remove the aligners temporarily for special events, and it will not significantly affect your treatment.
- Fewer visits to the dentist during treatment — We’ll outline your entire plan and fabricate all the aligners you need for your treatment. You switch them at regular intervals, and only need to come in about once every four to six weeks for our dentists to check your progress.
- Straighter, healthier teeth over time, less pain from misalignment and less risk of decay when you practice proper oral hygiene
When Other Treatment Might be Needed
While orthodontics can transform your smile, there are some instances in which orthodontic treatment might not be possible. These include:
- Problems with tooth roots — If your tooth roots are damaged or low-quality due to bad dental care or gum disease problems, orthodontic treatment probably won’t work for you.
- Advanced age — We are unable to treat orthodontic problems in patients who are aged 80 or older.
- Underlying oral health conditions — If you have certain medical issues, orthodontics might not be the best way to reshape your teeth. Other treatments may be necessary first, including medications or surgery for certain medical conditions.
What You Should Expect from Orthodontic Treatment
Under orthodontic treatment, your teeth will shift gradually over time. There is typically little-to-no discomfort or pain with orthodontic treatment. However, we will perform a dental exam before beginning treatment to ensure that you don’t have any underlying conditions that would prevent the procedure from working for you.
At Young Family Dental, we will create a comprehensive orthodontic treatment plan that will outline what you can expect with your smile over the next few months.
Why You Should Align Your Smile with ClearCorrect
Having straight teeth and an aligned smile has more than just appearance benefits. Additionally, it can also improve your dental health. The American Association of Orthodontists explains that this is because straight teeth are easier to clean. With straight teeth, you can remove plaque more easily. If you have crooked teeth, there are more places in the mouth for plaque to hide and not easily be removed through daily brushing and flossing. Plaque buildup can result in cavities, gum inflammation, and if it progresses far enough, gum disease.
Make an Appointment with Young Family Dental
If you are ready to get the smile you want, make an appointment at the Young Family Dental location nearest you. Call us today to learn more about if you are a candidate for ClearCorrect Orthodontics. An aligned smile is just one appointment away!