When a dentist creates a bridge, they close a gap in your teeth by inserting one or more false teeth. The false tooth or teeth are supported on either side by crowns that fit over your existing healthy teeth to keep the false tooth in place. Most dental bridges are made of porcelain, so they blend in naturally with your other teeth, although you can have a bridge made of other materials such as metal, if you prefer.
There are four basic types of dental bridges, and the type you get will depend on what the dental bridge is for and your specific treatment plan. They include:
- Traditional bridges — One or more false teeth is held in place by dental crowns on either side that cover your existing teeth. This is the most common type of dental bridge.
- Cantilever bridges — A false tooth with a crown attaches to only one adjacent tooth. The advantage of this type of bridge is that it only requires one healthy tooth next to the missing tooth.
- Maryland bridges — One or more false teeth attach to adjacent teeth using metal or porcelain on the back of the teeth instead of a crown.
- Implant-supported bridges — Dental implants rather than crowns on your existing teeth support the bridge. This usually requires two procedures, one to secure the implants and a later one to place the bridge.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
Dental bridges are a common replacement for a missing tooth. Missing teeth can cause significant long-term oral health and other consequences, including:
- Difficulty chewing food that leads to nutritional deficiencies
- A sunken appearance in your cheeks
- Self-consciousness about smiling or speaking
- Difficulty speaking properly and pronouncing words
- Excess force on your surrounding teeth that have to work harder when you eat and chew
- Healthy teeth that move out of position
Getting dental bridges is a relatively simple procedure often covered by insurance plans. They are generally durable and can last anywhere from 5 to 15 years if you care for them properly and practice good oral hygiene. There are also other options for missing teeth that have become common in recent years, such as dental implants, so it’s important to talk to your dentist about all your options so you can decide which is best for you.
Visit Young Family Dental Today
If you are missing one or more teeth and want to know what your options are to repair your smile and restore function in your mouth, schedule an appointment at one of our five Young Family Dental clinics in West Jordan, Riverton, American Fork, Saratoga Springs or Orem today. Our general and cosmetic dentists can provide you with information about the benefits of dental bridges, as well as other available options to replace missing teeth.
“These guys are awesome! I had a tooth break on a Friday afternoon and they got me in right away! I’ve since seen 3 different dentists there and have no complaints. The office staff is incredible and friendly. I still am not a huge fan of going to the dentist, but this office has really helped alleviate my fears and dental anxiety. I would recommend them to anyone.”
I’ve known Dr. Chris for over 10 years, and my experience with him has been awesome. I got Invisalign with him to straighten my teeth, and it was incredible to have straight teeth! It was great, too, that I was an adult and I didn’t have to walk around with braces like a teenage weirdo. Chris and YFD are excellent, I highly recommend them.
Anne Marie Gross referred me to your office and has had nothing but great things to say about you! I am looking forward to scheduling an appointment soon!
Deron Gross- when I went to young family dental they treated me very nicely and took great care of me:) appreciate all the work they’ve done:)
I took both my 8 year old and 3 year old daughters there, and it was great experience from beginning to end. It was the first time for my 3 year old (don’t judge me ?) Jacqueline was great at making it a fun experience for her. Jessica helped take care of my 8 year old who had some infection on a tooth she had worked on a while ago. And the dentist was great too. Overall, everyone was friendly, everything was clean, and at the end I had a credit on my account that I didn’t know was there which was an added bonus.
Young Family Dental Riverton employs the latest technology and procedures. The staff is always friendly and make you feel comfortable.
Everything they do is on time and as scheduled. They send you reminders for your appointments. They are great. My entire family goes to Young Family Dental Riverton.
I love young family dental! Their assistants are great and make me feel comfortable which is important to me because I don’t like going to the dentist. The dentists are very informative and make me feel at ease as well. They take extra time and care to make sure you fully understand what is being done and what needs to be done. If you need a check up, a cleaning, or work done stop or call young family in Riverton Utah, they are great!!
I love working here.. The dentists, hygienists, and assistants are awesome!!!