Porcelain crowns are dental restorations used to restore teeth that are decayed, worn down, cracked or otherwise damaged. They are a great option when the original tooth is still in place and you need to protect it from further damage and keep it healthy.
What is a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are a protective cover over a damaged tooth or dental implant, custom-designed to look like a natural tooth.
A damaged tooth is more than just an aesthetic problem. When the protective enamel around your tooth is decaying or injured, it can lead to other problems if it’s not treated properly. A crown (sometimes called a “cap”) is made of porcelain and designed to look just like your natural tooth. It covers the damaged area, including the top of the tooth that you can see in your mouth, and extends down to the gumline to prevent further damage to the tooth underneath.
Crowns are the recommended treatment for many different dental issues, including:
- Restoring teeth after removing a cavity that is too large for a filling
- Repairing tooth decay
- Supporting a dental bridge
- Repairing teeth that are cracked or damaged from injury
- Providing strength for teeth that have weakened over time
- Protecting a tooth and restoring its functionality after a root canal
- Building up smaller teeth or reshaping teeth to match the others in your mouth
- Covering a dental implant to replace a missing tooth
- Improving the overall look of your teeth and your smile for cosmetic reasons
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns protect your tooth from further damage, but there are other benefits as well.
- They may allow your dentist to preserve some of your natural tooth, providing a stronger base for the restoration.
- They can be designed to look just like your natural tooth, including matching the color and shape, which restores the appearance of your smile.
- They help maintain jaw alignment and reduce the amount of force on nearby teeth.
- They improve your overall oral health by allowing you to continue to eat, chew and talk normally.
- They last for decades and provide a natural-looking tooth without discoloration.
At Young Family Dental, we use crowns created from porcelain, which imitates the translucent, pearly appearance of natural teeth. Our custom, lab-created porcelain crowns are designed specifically to fit your mouth comfortably, and provide the best aesthetic appearance. To learn more about the difference between porcelain crowns and veneers or dental implants, or to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists, call today. We have five convenient dentist office locations in north Utah County and south Salt Lake County to serve you: Orem, American Fork, Saratoga Springs, Riverton and West Jordan.
“These guys are awesome! I had a tooth break on a Friday afternoon and they got me in right away! I’ve since seen 3 different dentists there and have no complaints. The office staff is incredible and friendly. I still am not a huge fan of going to the dentist, but this office has really helped alleviate my fears and dental anxiety. I would recommend them to anyone.”
I’ve known Dr. Chris for over 10 years, and my experience with him has been awesome. I got Invisalign with him to straighten my teeth, and it was incredible to have straight teeth! It was great, too, that I was an adult and I didn’t have to walk around with braces like a teenage weirdo. Chris and YFD are excellent, I highly recommend them.
Anne Marie Gross referred me to your office and has had nothing but great things to say about you! I am looking forward to scheduling an appointment soon!
Deron Gross- when I went to young family dental they treated me very nicely and took great care of me:) appreciate all the work they’ve done:)
I took both my 8 year old and 3 year old daughters there, and it was great experience from beginning to end. It was the first time for my 3 year old (don’t judge me ?) Jacqueline was great at making it a fun experience for her. Jessica helped take care of my 8 year old who had some infection on a tooth she had worked on a while ago. And the dentist was great too. Overall, everyone was friendly, everything was clean, and at the end I had a credit on my account that I didn’t know was there which was an added bonus.
Young Family Dental Riverton employs the latest technology and procedures. The staff is always friendly and make you feel comfortable.
Everything they do is on time and as scheduled. They send you reminders for your appointments. They are great. My entire family goes to Young Family Dental Riverton.
I love young family dental! Their assistants are great and make me feel comfortable which is important to me because I don’t like going to the dentist. The dentists are very informative and make me feel at ease as well. They take extra time and care to make sure you fully understand what is being done and what needs to be done. If you need a check up, a cleaning, or work done stop or call young family in Riverton Utah, they are great!!
I love working here.. The dentists, hygienists, and assistants are awesome!!!