Infant and Pediatric Dentistry
At Young Family Dental, we believe infant and pediatric dentistry is important. It is essential to begin good dental habits during childhood because tooth decay can advance rapidly in small children. We recommend that children see a dentist for the first time at age two.
Our gentle, friendly dentists will check for signs of tooth decay and any other dental problems. The sooner cavities or other dental troubles are discovered, the more effectively and painlessly they can be treated.
Infant Dental Care
Milk, juice, and other sweetened liquids leave residue on children’s gums, which can result in early tooth decay. To prevent this, it is best to avoid putting children to bed with a bottle or sippy cup. For healthy baby teeth, our infant and pediatric dentistry specialists suggest the following infant dentistry practices:
- Clean a baby’s teeth at least twice a day using a damp, soft cloth or a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Do not dip a child’s pacifier in sugar or honey
- Stop nursing and clean a baby’s teeth when they fall asleep
- Do not let a child use a sippy cup or bottle as a pacifier
- Do not put a child to bed with a bottle of milk or juice
- Teach children to use a cup at an early age and plan to stop using a bottle by the age of 12-14 months
- Read, sing, or rock a child to sleep in place of continuous feeding
- Beginning at the age of six months, use a fluoride supplement to help keep a child’s teeth strong
Proper Infant and Pediatric Dentistry is valuable for everyone’s health and well-being, and at Young Family Dental, we love taking care of our customers.
We invite you to call any of our five Utah dental offices in Riverton, American Fork, Saratoga Springs, West Jordan, or Orem today to learn more about our team, insurance we accept and any dental needs you have.
or Call Now
“I … have been putting off dental work for 2 years. I finally had the work done today by Dr. Young. It was fast & painless! He & his assistant were very accommodating to my nervousness! Best dental experience I’ve ever had honestly. I highly recommend this practice!!”
“Had a great experience! Leah was awesome and really made me feel comfortable. Not as stressed about the next visit.”
“This team is great. They make sure to put in the time and effort to ensure that the job is done right. Orchid and London are so friendly and make sure that I am not in pain. The doctor makes sure to explain everything he is doing so I understand what I’m paying for and what needs to happen.”
Pediatric Dental Care
Establish a practice of brushing teeth twice every day, starting at the time a child begins teething. Our infant and pediatric dentistry specialists recommend the use of a soft-bristled toothbrush with either water or toothpaste that does not contain fluoride. (Fluoride can be used when a child is old enough to spit.)
A child may be resistant to daily brushing at first, but we believe parents should stick with it. After they have brushed their teeth, it is best to allow children to only drink water. Also, it is best to encourage a child not to share cups, pacifiers, utensils, or toothbrushes with their siblings because dental and pediatric dentistry specialists warn that it might lead to the spread of cavity-producing bacteria.
To make tooth brushing less of a battle, our experienced infant and pediatric dentistry team suggest the following:
- Using a flavored toothpaste
- Letting a child pick a fun, character-themed toothbrush
- Have everyone in a family brush their teeth at the same time
- Use a tooth brushing chart to establish a routine
- Have multiple toothbrushes so a child can pick which one to use each time
- Parents should let a child brush their teeth
- Child-friendly flossing aids should be used
- Enthusiastic approval of your child’s sparkly, clean teeth should be shown
- Fun books about tooth brushing with a child should be read
- Letting a child eat or drink something that will color his or her teeth, then helping them brush their teeth clean
We have five locations to serve you and can help with regular checkups and cleaning, same day visits and emergency care for all your dental needs.